Thursday 27 November 2014

Today I became an Australian

It is not exactly today, it is been couple of weeks now. But I feel like to write about it now or never.  And the main reason I am writing is maybe just to improve my English writing skill.

First, It is not a proud thing to give up my original Chinese citizenship. It is a path I chose and I don`t think I will regret this.
A lot to think about, a lot to compare and in the end the conclusion is I may fit Australia better.

I can make a list of 100, let see it is reasonable for me to make such a choice. Before I list them, Listen, there is nothing to do with promoting Australia or encourage people join AU from China, personally I am feeling Melbourne is crowded enough. However compare to Beijing, it is still heaven-like.

Also I don`t hate China, I don`t hate anyone from anywhere, it is just a neutral choice for people like me, average people with not too bad skills (yes I am always conservative of judging my value) but I am confident to compete with anyone with my IT skills at same salary range, no English competition though. :))

Where to start, in China, we have an old saying, "What you wear, What you eat, Where you live and How you travel"  are the priorities you should consider first when talk about the living standard. (Forgive my Chinglish and I couldn't find a better way to convey those 4 letter Chinese words to English, and yes that is how deep and hard that Chinese is hard to learn.)

I only want to compare Melbourne with Beijing, since Beijing will be the only place If I have to stay in China.

1.Cloth 

I am never a fan of fashion and I mainly wear black and blue since I am naturally over-weighted and I always think I am over weighted as I am now. I used to have 6 packs when I live alone and that told me one thing, you look good if you are fit, You look awkward if you are awkward, it is not the clothes themselves or you need spend a lot effort to find them.

So the average income of Australian people are $50,000-$60,000 annually. It is about 10 times higher than average Chinese. However you will find same clothes are usually a lot cheaper in Australia especially there are constantly big discount on many brands. So you can easily spend less than $50 in a shop anytime.  Usually around $20 dollar for shorts and $40 dollar for a jacket. And those are the good ones. I can easily find comfortable runners around $100 for Nike/Adidas, and in China, I need pay normally 4 times higher.

Besides that, I feel it suffers to go shopping in China considering the shops are always overcrowded and normally stuffy. One example, I drove to Xidan and cannot find a car park  after 30 mins waiting so I drove home and took a taxi to go back. So that is the fact, it is all about population.

Also, I want to complain the service level of the employees in those "Big Brand" shops in Beijing. Some of them have that ignorant numb face and despise you with what you wear. You may hear "this is very expensive, $200" from some proud chicks. Or sometimes been over passionate to make you feel sorry if you don`t buy some.

While in Australia I never have that pressure. Most of the Sales assistants in the shops are not only pretty and energetic, but also been helpful and not pushy. I never got any scowl from an Cloth Shop so far believe it or not. Maybe because I only live in this country for 6 years only?


2. Food
In China, food cost is extremely polarized. I can spend $0.5 to eat something delicious from a food hawker or I also shared a meal with some people from some mid town bureau for $1000 and of course someone else paid.

I don`t want to talk about corruption too much but I hate to see my tax are on someone`s table, not the poor ones but the rich ones.  However it is a very sensitive topic I should keep going.

So the food cost are not really more expensive in Melbourne today compare to Beijing. The milk I drink $1 /L is labeled $10 in Beijing. The Pork I bought for $13 per kilo or beef brisket for $7 /kil are about same or even higher in Beijing and with lower quality. Not mentioning the Prawn and Lobsters. If you go to market weekly you will find things are cheaper in Melbourne, not the vegetables though. Fruit are more expensive but the quality is way better than Beijing.

My whole family are good chefs so we don`t feel we are eating worse than Beijing. Not mentioning the poisons contains everywhere.

Go to restaurant is a different story. It is true you normally pay double - triple $ for something you had in Beijing, but compare the environment and food safety, I personally think it is worthy. Also there are many more choices in term of multi-cultural. Still too sad I cant find a Donkey Hamburg in Australia yet. While you cant have everything.
Donkey Hamburg


3. Living
This is a main factor in my age, to buy an apartment in Beijing you need $400,000 to get something acceptable, and it will be 1 hour drive away from CBD and it is will be 20 neighbors each level and 25 levels each build and 20 buildings each block. Picture this made me went frantic when I was one day looking around in my friends`   balcony at level 18 or something, I went nervous just imagine what gonna happen if everyone go downstairs. There wasn't enough space! And where are the cars?
Beijing Apartments



Any way, I bought my house for around $400,000 in Melbourne. It is 12 km from CBD. It is a house with a land around 600m2. So far, I like it. It is second hand of course however because it is second hand old brick house, it is cool in summer and warm in winter. Plus the heater and evaporate cooling system I installed. It is cozy.

What I love to live in Melbourne is its temperature. It is always around 20 C and never below 0 C. It is could be 40 C someday but I found it is disappointing that I rarely can find a chance to use my Cooling system. Since I installed it the start of last month, I only used it twice, and less than 3 hours each time. I feel it is kind of wasting money but consider my baby is only 11 month old, I don`t like to risk it.
Melbourne Houses


I love the birds chirping in the morning and pick fruits or vegetables in my backyard. My parents in law feel young again when they started doing gardening. I enjoy the fresh air and the chill of Melbourne`s night so I can use my wool quilt every night. I just hate hot night in Beijing that I am always in a dilemma of whether to turn the a/c off. Or in the winter it is so cold on the street and so hot in any houses. I am lazy I prefer simple life style, I can sacrifice snow.

People say Chinese brought up the Melbourne s house price, IMO, it is true. An house auction normally becomes a Chinese competition regardless the actual house labeled price. If there are 2 rich Chinese involved, it wont be a news that the price is twice of what it is labeled and also paid in full. I don`t blame them, houses are too expensive in China anyway. Also, I have already got mine so I don`t give a fuss.


4. Travel
This actually helped me made my decision to move back Australia in 2009. When I was venturing in China. I literally spent 6 hours sitting in the car at a location where is 30 kms from CBD, just to try to get off the 5th ring road on a public holiday. My whole family was sitting in the car without moving a inch for 6 hours with a sunny 35C temperature. It was so sunny that I was sweating even with the A/C on. So at that time, I told myself. ByeBye Beijing.
Melbourne`s traffic is getting worse everyday, it is cost double time compare 2006 when I was a student. However it is still acceptable.  It cost me 20 mins to go to work or back home while in China, it is usually more than an hour to 2.
Driving or taking taxi in Beijing is terrifying if you are caught by a traffic jam, and it is usually anytime anywhere. Taking public transport is another story. I heard you may spend 20 mins just to get down to the Subway because it is full of people on the stairs. But when I was in Beijing, it is not surprising if I am squeezed by men or women in the Bus or Sub way. A lot touches, I am a man I don't care but I don't really enjoy it especially when someone farted ... Too much information I guess.
Melbourne Bus

Beijing Bus


Cars doubled price in Beijing compare to Melbourne. Yes, average Chinese earn less money than average Australian, however in Beijing there are millions of unaverage Chinese who can be 1000 times richer than average Australian. So if you want to marry a rich man, A Chinese nerdy student normally has a better chance overwhelm an handsome OZ boy financially.  You normally don`t need to worry about to work if you find the right person. That is a fact.

Luxury cars sold out in China quickly and we need more. Please send more.

I have written a lot and now I want talk about a little more, about people network.

5. People Network
I know it is true you need people network everywhere if you want to climb higher. However I personally found it is a lot easier to live my life in Melbourne. I prefer to focus on my expertise in IT other than kiss somebody`s arse. I got a wife already so no thanks.

I feel it is really relaxing to work in Melbourne since I am mostly an honest man and I don't like lies. I prefer spent time on the real works other than bull shits. In China I feel it is not so easy. You have to be careful of what you say and be hypocrite most of times. Even the companies you worked for are owned by US, as long as there are more than 5 Chinese, you just need be careful my friend.

I am relying on what I am and I feel happy when people recognize my skills and respect my reputation. I am proud of my built up image and also being just me.

I think this is good enough for practicing my English today, I will compare education and welfare in my next article.

I will appreciate any help to improve my English and this article does not hold any political opinion and only express my feelings, an average Chinese `s feelings. Although my income in Australia is higher than average, lets say average in IT field.

Cheers.








No comments:

Post a Comment